09 June 2019

Vegan Shopping And Eating Out

Brighton seems to be a pretty friendly city for vegan and vegetarian things, both eating out and in terms of shopping. I've been here a few days now and not really had any trouble getting recommendations for places. I wend to a pizza place (Purezza) a couple of nights in a row. I wouldn't recommend the vegan macaroni cheese side or starter dish or whatever they refer to it as, because they brought it out when I was still eating something else so by the time I was ready to eat it, it was already getting cold and kind of hard and horrible. Having said that, I do like the courgetti spaghetti, which is a raw dish made with courgette shaped like spaghetti and they add things like sundried tomatoes among other things. I personally think they should make more of it and have it as a main course. I also found the vegan cheese board expensive but interesting. They have 3 or 4 different kinds of vegan cheese (than thankfully doesn't taste like cheese at all I think), a couple of dips and some crackers made with corn flour. Big fat disclaimer: a lot of that does contain nuts like cashues. I thought the cheese board was so filling I ended up bringing the rest of it back to eat for lunch or snack or something the next day. Another place I went to is a Thai restaurant. I had a green curry with rice, which I found verry tasty, especially since I was kind of tired of pizza and pasta by that time. In terms of shopping, I was doing a little bit of searching online for health stores and things. I don't know if they exactly call them bulk stores in the UK and came across a vegetarian and vegan supermarket. I don't know if they have a bulk section, but hope they do. I totally forgot to ask. I went to the bakery section though and had the shop assistant tell me what was on offer, so I got myself a massive slice of pizza that wouldn't even fit in any of my containers! Well the pizza was tasty just the same, because it had all sorts of vegetables and things on it and a pretty decent dough. Turns out they make their own pizzas. I also got a vegan sausage roll, although they couldn't tell me what was in the sausage mix to make it vegan because it's just a pre-made vegan sausage mix. I also got myself a couple of scones with currants. I thought they could have done with some jam or something, but otherwise were quite tasty along with the cup of tea I had when I got back to the house/hostel. I finally managed to get my hands on some soap nut shells (not sure what they do with the nuts themselves) for laundry. I had been looking for them in Bristol but never managed to get hold of any, because they were either no longer sold or just didn't have any or know what they were, so thought I would try when I came to Brighton. I figured if a vegetarian/vegan supermarket doesn't sell them, I don't know where will. It looks like they'll last for absolutely ever as well, because my assistant was saying there is 500 g of the shells in the bag and you only need 5 per wash, but you can leave them to dry and use them up to 4 times. Wow! They come with a little bag to put them in, so you put the said bag in the machine with the clothes and wash away, then hang the bag with the soap nut shells to dry, then do the same with the next laundry. I really need to find out if that store has a bulk section where one can get loose ingredients, because if it does it'll be fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment