28 November 2019

A Brief Stay In Doncaster

I'm staying in the city or pretty large town of Doncaster in south Yorkshire for a week. At the time of writing this I've got about 2 days left of my stay. This guesthouse is one I found on air BNB and is owned and ran by Florence. She's one of those hosts who cooks breakfast and dinner and will talk to the hosts for a bit. I sometimes like it when hosts do that, but at the same time I sometimes prefer to be left to my own devices. Some other guests here are pleasant too and one stays long-term. It's been rainy and dreary here in Doncaster, so I haven't been out much. When I have been out though, I've found the curbs to be a real mixture of raised curbs to dropped curbs. I wouldn't mind, but the dropped curbs are so dropped they're non-existent, so I can't feel them at all with my cane. The bus I took when I went out the other day doesn't have any spoken announcements and the driver wasn't too helpful either. Maybe he just forgot to tell me when the appropriate stop was. I went to Costa Coffee and was highly disappointed. I asked what was on the vegan christmas menu and the member of staff was totally not interested or even trying to read the menu, but I got what they said was vegan christmas slice and vegan cherry bakewells. The cherry bakewells were tinier than what one would get from the supermarket and there were only 2 in a pack and the christmas slice was so small I finished it in 2 or 3 bites. I payed just over £5 for those and a pot of tea. The pot of tea and little jug of soya milk I got was barely enough to do a cup and a bit, but certainly didn't manage 2. I went to Lush and got myself a conditioner bar and a tin to put it in. The staff were not very helpful about telling me what ingredients are in the bar, but said the scents are all natural ones. I found out afterwards that what they refer to as "safe synthetics" is normally baking soda. Sodium carbonate occurs naturally, but they powder down the crystals in order to use it. Finally I went across to the Yanky candle shop, but didn't end up buying anything. Turns out the staff there only know what is on the labels and just want to sell stuff. They don't know how the candles are made. Supposedly the new wicks are designed to crackle, but if they really are wood, well wood doesn't crackle all that much as it burns, even if it's a massive log. I strongly suspect there's something in both the candle wick and the scents that shouldn't be, because most of the scents that they have are not ones that occur in nature. At least if they do occur you can't immitate them no matter how hard you try and you definitely can't truly synthesize the scent of a fire. The synthetics put me right off buying anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment