12 July 2019

Out And About In Cardiff And Abergavenni

I write this post from my air BNB place in the Penylan area of Cardiff, where I still have another 2 weeks left of my stay. I'm finding that the people are pretty helpful here, but sometimes as with everywhere make stupid comments or don't listen to responses I give. Yesterday I was walking down the street and this completely random person who lives in one of the houses decided to tell me that I was "doing really well". How do you work that out? I'm only doing what everyone else does every day of the year and you don't tell them they're doing really well. Having said that though, I do think the curbs of the zebra-crossings and road crossings in general should me made a little higher. I'm glad that most of the buses have spoken announcements in English and Welsh for the stops, but I also found out that the only reason some do and others don't even on the same route is for no other reason than that they're different makes. To me they're still buses, so get on with it please. I really find the fact that bus passes are only specific to each country within the UK. The UK is technicallly one country and some of the bus drivers agree with me, but the passes themselves are only specific to England Scotland and Wales. Then again the Scottish get free train travel, which is totally not fairt the restof the UK. Still the bus from Cardiff to Abergavenni was around half what I would have payed for a train ticket, although it did take what felt like forever. Near here is a 0-waste shop called Ripple. A few days ago I went there and managed to get over 300 g of pasta for 1.10 GBP. This was whole-weat pasta and II'm pretty sure if I went to a supermarket and got the same thing in a package I would be paying a bit more. Even if I got a packaged equivalent for the same price, I would still have had to deal with somehow getting rid of the packaging. I also got myself some raisins which I'm going to put with some oatmeal for breakfast at some point. I got a nice bamboo comb too, which I think is great because my other comb is plastic. Even the box the comb came in (which is not strictly necessary) is cardboard, so can either be recycled or I assume composted in some way. I don't think that store does things like pasta sauce, but I wish it would. Then I wouldn't have to go and buy a jar of the stuff from the supermarket and fiddle about removing labels when I'm done with the jar. Sure I could make my own, but I was too lazy to do so at the time. Also there is a cafe nearby whose name I have no idea how to spell as I've only heard it pronounced. I'm thinking to jump on the happy cow website after I get done writing on here for today and write a couple of reviews. The yarn store The Wool Croft in Abergavenni has recently moved location, so is now on Neville Street rather than Cross Street. I went to the bus station for the first time yesterday though and find it a pain. What they refer to as a bus station is nothing more than a series of bus shelters or placesto stand and wait for the buses, so no actual building or office or anywhere to ask where to go. So back to relying on random people. There is a pedestrian area of Abergavenni, which I didn't realize until yesterday. It's amazing how much you notice when walking around and taking buses rather than just taxis and trains.

No comments:

Post a Comment