09 July 2019

A weekend In Taunton

I spent the last weekend in the town of Taunton. This is situated in the county of Somerset in England. I plan to go back for longer another time, but thought I would write about my weekend anyway. I arrived on the Friday evening. I thought the key woud be in a box with a keypad, but it turned out it was a box with some sort of combination lock. Not being able to read print I've never been able to use these kind of locks, so had to wait for the air bnb host to let me in. The house is a newer house, so the walls are of some plasterboard or other similar material, making them soud hollow. I much prefer older buildings, because they don't do that and there is some character to them. In general though the place was great. I slept in a room that had a big double or kind-sized bed and a closet etc. My host even gave me a candle. :) There was a kitchen but I only used it for making breakfast and drinks mainly. On Saturday after a bit of getting lost I managed to get some people to show me to the bus stop and went into town. I had already came across a low-waste shop called Lesser Litter, so went there. That store sells all sorts from loose dry ingredients to toilet paper to containers. I bought myself some toothpaste tabs (which I look forward to trying out when I get done with the current toothpaste), a stainless-steel lunchbox which I hope is big enough for sandwiches, a heavier-duty shopping bag and even managedd to get myself some sweets! I was talking to someone working in thhe shop (whether they're the owner or not I don't know) and they said their biggest dream when they were little was to open a sweetshop. :) I managed to get a kind of fluoride-free toothpaste tabs and think it was fantastic that they offered those as well as the ones containing fluoride. I also love the fact that all the sweets are vegan in that shop. I got myself some salted caramel chocolate-covered cashue nuts and some chocolate covered raisins. While there I found some children and their mum and the children were getting a nice big jar and filling it with sweets. I think the kids mucst have been vegetarian or ate meat or something, because as soon as they realized the sweets were vegan they decided to point it out to their mum who was vegan. The shop also sells laundry liquit (I don't know if they sell soap nuts because I didn't ask) in a refill thing, so you take your own container and fill up with as much as you need. I think they even do a natural stain-remover. they also had bars of soap and I think shampoo and dishes and bags to put them in as well as a couple of different types or reuseable straws. I noticed too some banmoo cutlery but sadly no plates or bowls. They did have some travel mugs, but of course I already have technically 2 of those. Nan said I could have the otehr one back if I wanted because she didn't like it. She says she can taste the bamboo and silicone or whatever whet she takes tea or coffee in it. The only thing I find is that the tea is as hot as ever and yes you can smell the silione, but of course you would if you're drinking through the lid which is made off the said silicone. Lesser Litter also does sell some womens products, but only individually rather than in sets. Apparently Harriot of Hove did used to sell those kind of things in sets but not when I wasthere. I took a bit of a walk along the street and the firstplace I found was a vegan cafe by the name of The Planet. I went in and had some apple juide and a special that was being served that day, a peanutbutter-friedd rice with tofu and some salad. I would never have thought of putting that combination of ingredients together, but I find eating out now and again to be mind-opening to more posibilities. While there a lady was sharing my table who was taking a break from work to eat lunch. I didn't get any that time, but think next time I'll go and get the cakes or vegan sausage rolls. She said the cakes are nice and fluffy and tasty. Also she mentioned that one of the main supermarkets Asda now sell a vegan cake or 2. She was telling me that one of her colleagues had a birthday and found her a vegan cake when she was looking for cakes to take into work. While walking through the town, I noticed that there were people getting ready to play music. Also there were traders in the street, so I got talking to one of them briefly. It is not an official market, but apparently they al have licences to trade there. The particular man I spoke to was selling flowers (mostlyorcids), some of which were having buds on them. He was saying the person next to him sells pet-beds. He told me of some others buut I can't remember them now. I wish I had spent a bit longer in town, because when I got back to my room, it was barely 13:40. While I was waiting for the bus though, I did hear a preacher with a big microphone somewhere. I only caught the first little bit of the serman, but apparently he was preaching about if you will get to heaven or something along those lines. I didn't get chance to talk to him since I was getting on the bus and didn't kno where he was anyway, but as far as I understand, heaven and hell are primarily Christian inventions. Of course I could be entirely wrong about this and feel free to correct me if I am. As of right now, I'm spending a couple of weeks in or near Cardiff in Wales. My current AirBNB host is Erik, who is a very nice man. This is asingle-storey building with a decent-sized yard at the back and a little one at the front by the look of it. I write this post from the back yard and Erik is doing some cleaning or tidying or whatever off to my right. The house next door has a little yappy dog, whic sounds to me like a terrier or someone similar and there are birdsaround now and then. I heard some seagulls earlier on and Erik says we're not far from the sea. Well I should go for now before my phone runs out of charge, but I'll write again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment