10 April 2019

Travelling On The Cheap

Given that I think buses trains and perhaps ferries are more environmentally friendly and cheaper than flying, I thought I ould share my journey I'm planing to the UK. I say I think these things are perhaps more environmentally friendly, because if aeroplanes have too much fuel, it's common for them to dump the remainder into the ocean so they're not too heavy. Well I'm going to be leaving Rymattyla super early in the morning tomorrow. I'm getting the 06:25 bus from here to Naatali, then the next bus to Turku. I'll then have to find a way of getting to the ferry terminal which could get interesting. Another thing I'm really hoping is that I can pay with card on the buses. I know yu can pay by card in taxis here, but then those journeys are much more expensive.
I'm going to take the ferry from Turku to Stockholm in Sweden, so just need to decide which cabin I want to book. Got to love Ferry Savers. On the page where you choose which cabin you want it has a little piece of text saying "accommodation is compulsary". I'll be arriving in Stockholm in the evening and was hoping to take a flixbus all the way to Berlin Germany. Sadly though the direct journey is full for that night, so I'm looking at either doing some sort               of transfer in Malmo (no idea where that is in relation to Stockholm), or staying a night or 2 in Stockholm itselt in order to get the direct bus. I'm not too sure how much the buses will be from here to the ferry place, but I really don't feel like paying 62 euros (can't find the euro symbol on here) for a taxi to take me there. Even if I take the most expensive flixbus journey from Stockholm to Berlin (21 or so hours), that's still less than 95 GBP and the ferry will be 50 or less. In fact thhere are some flixbus jourseys for just under 90. I really wanted to see what I could find on eurolines which I heard about recently, but so far find the website a total pain to navigate.
I know this is taking the really long way round, but that's all right with me. If I didn't have so much stuff I was carrying, I wouldn't mind staying a while in each of the places, but then that would not be so cheap as I would have to get accommodation.
After Berlin I should be able to get buses from there to Amsterdam, then from Amsterdam Netherlands to London England. I think the UK has surprisingly few flixbus stops, because it only has stops in London and Dover. Then again Finland has precisely 0 stops by the look of it. I'm also going to look at ferries from Amsterdam to Newcastle England. Actually the ferry terminal is in North Shields you silly people. I'm thinking about seeing how much eurostar and megabus are as well to compare prices. I forgot about megabus. The only reason I mention Newcastle/North Shields is because hen I can pick some stuff up I accidentally left somewhere I stayed and go and visit some people further south. There's a direct train from Newcastle to London Kings Cross and vice versa which stops at Peterborough along the way.
Before I post this, just a quick thought to ask who wants me to do a comparison of things I've noticed about differences between the UK and Finland? I know people have done similar already, so really don't want to bore everyone, but feel free to comment. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment