18 April 2019

Low-waste Living

I'm writing from the computer today, so will have far fewer typing errors now. I just got the laptop and the person who was going to buy it doesn't want it now as they got a new one, so looks like I'm keeping it. Anyway I thought I would write a little about what I currently do to try and produce as little waste as possible, as well as something about what I would like to do in future.
<h2>Currently</h2>
In December 2018, I bought a bamboo travel mug whose lid and grip are made of silicone. Since then I've noticed I haven't used a single takeaway/paper cup. I was at college in January and some of February 2019 and stayed in a hall of residence. I even spent less money and went back to the kitchen to make tea myself instead of buying it at the coffee shop if I had time. When going shopping, I try and reuse bags, even paper ones as much as I can. That way I don't have to keep getting plastic ones. I also got a reusable sort of fabric bag when I was in Helsinki, which I take with me for fruit and vegetables. It comfortably holds 4 big apples and 4 bananas. Of course I also finish as much of my food as I can rather than throwing it away, but who wouldn't. I have some food storage containers, but unfortunately they're of a flimsy plastic and not exactly airtight. I don't really want plastic containers at all, but that's all they had in the store I was in when it occurred to me to buy some. I know so much fruit and vegetables come in packaging (especially if it's out of season), so I try and buy loose ones whenever I can. If I can't get loose fruit and vegetables I get as big bag as I can. I do that with food in general, because I can use some of it and freeze the rest. Why things like single cucumbers are wrapped in plastic in shops I've never understood. Markets if there are any close by are great alternatives though. I only use them for dry things like looseleaf tea. When I'm making things, I put whatever leftover pieces of fabric and yarn I have into other projects. I don't use energy-saving light bulbs because I can't see them well if at all. However, when I light candles I at times use long matches, especially if I want to light 2 or 3 at once. I find I can light 3 candles with 1 long match. Got to love scented candles, although I do also have a cool lantern thing that is in the shape of a house and has multi-coloured windows. I also have an oil burner and need very little oil to get the scent.
<h3>In Future</h3>
In future, one thing I really want to do and am already trying to do is get myself a tea-strainer. That way I can use the looseleaf tea more than teabags. I'm going to be renting a place at some point before September, because I'm starting an art course at that point, so I also want to see if the area I move to has anything for composting or a specific food-waste or garden-waste etc bin I could get. I'll be still travelling as much as I can though, so I'm going to try and take fewer taxis, which will also help in saving money. Sadly this is not always possible because some places are not reachable by public transport and I might have to be places in a reasonable time-frame. Today for example, I only took a taxi to and from the metro station, then I took the metros the rest of the way to and from Newcastle. I really want to do a bit of shopping of sorts and get myself a set of bamboo cutlery and a flask or whatever it's called. The one I want to get has a double-wall so you don't get a burned or frozen hand, but it keeps things at proper temperature for quite a number of hours. I think the flask will be useful when I'm wanting to carry drinks around on a train for example, because I can just throw it in my bag and off I go, but with the mug I have right now I have to hold it upright. I want the cutlery because it's flat and light-weight, so again I can put it in my bag and take it places. Then I can eat without using the plastic cutlery. Quite what I'll do with the straw I have no idea, but all of them seem to come with some kind of bamboo or glass straw for some reason. They normally come with a pair of chopsticks as well. I forgot to mention earlier that I've been using bars of soap again now rather than the stupid big bottles of shower gel or similar. I find they seem to last longer, although that could just be me not using so much, I don't know. Either way, I've heard about bars of shampoo recently so want to see if I can find some to try out. I sometimes just use the water from the shower, but normally use shampoos with coconut oil if I can get it, because I find it helpful for my skin and hair. I want to get myself a talking scale that also has a jug and measures liquid as well as solid ingredients. I have one at the minute that measures only solid things. That way I can cook food hopefully better than I currently do. I'm not sure though, because the most accurate talking scales only measure to the gram rather than say the half or tenth of a gram like standard scales do. I find this wrong, because those who can't see too well if at all have the right to exactly the same information as their fully sighted colleagues,.

No comments:

Post a Comment